Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bathroom "on budget" Reno Reveal

After months renovating our tiny bathroom in the best DIY style ("slow- getting ready- but low - cost), it is time for the big reveal: To be fair, it has been ready for 2 months now, but with the Christmas season, I used up all my time for blogging to post my Christmas crafts/decor etc, and neglected this post....so now last but not least!
For starters, my bathroom reno had one starter point ( my revamped cabinet) and one inspiration (quatrefoil love), posted here :

Here it is the before: (I am sure many people will "like" the before(you won't hut my feelings, that is ok!:), as many of my friends like the colour, but  I was really tired of the dark walls. The space is not big and I often felt claustrophobic in it. A phobia I have: I AM claustrophobic. 
BEFORE

I wanted a space with a "spa" feeling to it AND I wanted my quatrefoil :)
I ordered a stencil from  Designer Stencils in the US and I can't stress enough how pleased I was with the quality of it.
Walls primed 
I picked a soft grey, Martha Stewart "Sharkey Grey". Just lovely.
Now to the stenceling:



It took me A LOT of time, as I had to do it square/square, wait for the paint to completely dry, and then move to the next section mathing the pattern.. ..tell me about pain!!!! but it was worthy every minute.
I used the same paint colour, one layer eggshell and the other, glossy. 
It looks like fancy wallpaper:)
Because it took me FOREVER, I decided to do it only in the cabinet nook, and now I like it as it is, for it is not overwhelming.



Hubby installed the tiles. Plank porcelain tiles from Home Depot. They are gorgeous and were for sale at 66 bucks a box! And because my bathroom is so small it only costed us 250 dollars. 
Dark grey, giving a nice contrast with the wall. And my very dark hair will not be visible in every nook and cranny as before!!! haha ( one of the main reasons I  disliked the previous floor)
 AFTER


My thrifted dresser turned into vanity, I love it! Check the transformation here.
Unfortunately the sink installation was my hubby's role and he did it when I was away!! No photos :(.
But I can say it was not complicated and one can find lots of tutorials on Youtube.
A thrifted candle holder from the thrift store is now my wash clothes holder. Pennies saved. Mission accomplished!



My new "spa" bathroom in a very, very low budget, I am happy!


36 comments:

  1. Wow. There are so many beautiful details in this bathroom. I definitely like the after better than the before.

    That vanity is amazing. And I love the tone-on-tone look you achieved with the stencil on the walls.

    I love gray in a bathroom. I just painted our powder room gray, and I absolutely love it. It's a bit darker than yours, but I like your choice, too.

    Visiting from TT&J.

    Atta Girl Amy
    www.attagirlsays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you so much! Your comment means a lot, I do not get many comments , so I really cherish yours and any comment that comes my way!

      I love the grey as well, it is very calming...

      Will gladly visit your blog! THANKS!

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous. Fantastic paint color. Absolutely love the cabinet nook. And the dresser vanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love my cabinet, and it is soooo useful too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh Andrea! I am IN LOVE with your dresser/sink! Heck, I am in love with your entire bathroom! But, that dress/sink combo! I WANT THAT! And, the good news? I showed the Mr. and he actually really liked it! THANK YOU! Now, you know what this means, don't you?! I finally have convinced him, thanks to YOU, to get a solid wood dresser we have at our cottage (using it as a TV stand), and prime, and paint that bad boy out, plop a sink on top, and WHOO! HOO! And, I will paint out our vanity, which I was going to do anyway, and take that to the cottage to use as our TV stand. It will work perfectly, since the sizes will fit the spaces better. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUE!!!! haha I AM SOOO glad that this helped you to solve this (important haha) matter with Mike !!!!I also am in LOOVE with my vanity...and I remember yours in the cabin is even more beautiful than mine, can't wait too see it!!!!!

      thanks!!!

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful! Well done...the walls, the cabinet the sink...all of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! We are very happy with it:) Thanks for your comment!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Andrea - just love what you did - I'll be redoing my ( small ) bathroom this year really enjoyed seeing the changes you did to yours - it turned out beautiful!
    Your newest follower
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Suzan, than I can not wait to see your bathroom done!!!! I am sure it will turn out beautifully!

      Will follow you back gladly!!!!!

      Delete
  6. So nice! I can't believe you did it for $250! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you !!!!! The total cost was actually around $ 500, the tiles costed $250 , but still cheap think:)
      thanks for you visit and your comment!

      Delete
  7. it looks amazing!! Holy cow - so gorgeous! I can't believe that vanity was thrifted. So so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The vanity is my pride :) love it!

      thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful. I found you from Alderberry Hill link up. I loved your subtle incorporation of the Quatrefoil stencil. I looked back at your inspiration and started a new Pinterest board, repinning some of yours. Read mine:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2013/01/football-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana! I must say the stencil is beautiful and yes, very subtle:)
      I tried to check your board but couldn't find it, would love to see it and follow it as well!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful transformation on a budget! I'd love it if you stopped by and linked up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!
      I am all about the budget, Jenn!

      I will be there on thursday, thanks!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Love your new colors!!!!!!!! The sink is amazing!!! New follow. Follow me back at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/his-and-her-pillows.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! no claustrophobia any longer !:)

      Will gladly follow you back, thanks!!!

      Delete
  11. Love, love, love!! The sink / vanity is fabulous as well as the mirror, and the stencil, and the whole bathroom! Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna!
      I also love that mirror, only payed 49 bucks at Winners, can you believe it??:)

      THANKS for visiting my blog as well!

      Delete
  12. Wow. I love the wall color. The room looks so much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, it does Andrea. As I said earlier, no more claustrophobia !:)

      Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, much appreciated:)

      Delete
  13. a.ma.zing! that vanity and sink! the stencil! the lighter color and feel overall! fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! I love your enthusiasm in your comment, means a lot!:) THANKS!!

      Delete
  14. I love the new look of your bathroom, and your old dresser turned vanity is simply gorgeous. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That old dresser was really ugly before, uh, , but I love it now!

      THANK you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, I do not get them very often, so I loove all of them!!:)

      Delete
  15. Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2013/01/your-whims-wednesday-96-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gigia, Dereco... vcs são muito talentosoooooos!
    Um serviço desse no país mais caro do mundo (Brasil) ficaria em milhares de dólares....
    Ficou lindo, Gigia, bem clean, leve... Gostei!!!
    Bjs, Neno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O Neninho!! hahahah eh mesmo neh? no Brasil eh tudo CAROOOOOO, credo! sabe quanto paguei no piso? e pia? aqui eh muito " em conta" como diria a kitinha:)

      E obrigada pelo elogio!:) bjs
      saudade
      dea

      Delete
  17. It looks great! I really like the old dresser as the vanity. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should be able to understand the concept outlined by this new game onward and I think we can see enough space around us. I am sure this is something we can do about it too.
    Curtain

    ReplyDelete