Saturday, January 26, 2013

Old Dresser into Bathroom Vanity

We renovated our tiny bathroom. A real DIY,  we did it all ourselves. It took months, but we did it! ( and I will finally  post it  here, soon!).
I had decided that I wanted this for my bathroom:
An old dresser transformed into sink vanity.
After searching Kijiji for some weeks,  I found a perfect one  for 30 bucks! yay ! 
It was in a very bad shape in terms of painting, but had very good bones, a nice shape, made of solid wood and small - it had to be small as I had a small space to work with.
Someone had tried to paint it ...poor soul...on top of layers of old paint, no priming or sanding apparently. When I started sanding this is what I found: layers of old paint ( white, brown and green!) 
I must say it took me "FOREVA"to  get rid of all the layers and get to the bare wood, but I did it eventually....had to, uh?
Look at this beauty
Now to priming. I necessarily did not to do this, as it was totally sanded, but because it would be going in the bathroom, I wanted the paint to stick real good and forever:). I used the primer I love the most: Kilz, oil primer. It is the king of primers in my opinion. It rocks even in nasty laminate. I used it in this laminate cabinet, and I could not be more pleased! 
I would be sanding the edges for an antique look, so I used good ol' black craft paint in strategic places.


Primed. Now to paint. I used Swiss Coffee by Behr, love this shade of white. It was the same I used on my cabinet, and I kinda wanted them both to match.
I filled the old hardware holes with wood filler and put these gorgeous glass ones, form Home Depot. Pricey, but beautiful. And I had saved sooo much in my cabinet that I gave myself the right to  ..ahem..splurge:)


And here it is, my  bathroom vanity ready for her next adventure! a sink on top! ( keep tuned,wink wink!)
_______________________________

Update:

SINK!


Linking up  to:


7 comments:

  1. Oh Andrea!!! What a great deal! And what a great job! I SO want to see that gorgeous new sink on that gorgeous new dresser!!! And, then I get to work on my Mister to get mine, hee! hee! hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    Your vanity came out beautifully. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_22.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU, Debi!!!

    I will be there for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHERE did you get that awesome sink? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicci!

      Got it at Home Depot:

      Check it out:
      http://www.homedepot.ca/product/square-vessel-lavatory/921039

      Thanks for visiting my blog!!!
      Cheers
      Andrea

      Delete