Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Envelope Advent Calendar

Hi!
Christmas is already here for me ( well, almost), preparations are starting and the first thing I always have ready is the Advent Calendar for Sofia.
It is an envelope kind of calendar, for the rail or fireplace. I put mine in my staircase rail, I love it because it serves as a cute decoration as well:


Last year I got  a Cricut from my hubby and right away put it to good use!
This year I just made a   Nativity scene again, as I can not  seem to find the one I used last year anywhere in my ( messy, very messy) basement.
So, here is how I did it/what I used:
(I must say that apart from the Cricut itself everything involved is cheap and easy to find, you can use what you have at home. I only used paper left overs /paper scraps.)

1. Circuit Cartridge "Winter Frolic" and a variety of card stock paper
2. Cookie Tin Box Lid
3. Moss
4. Tree sticks from the backyard
5. Hot glue gun
6. Navy blue card stock paper
7. Small white envelopes
8. Jute yarn
9. Dollar store acrylic picture frame, large
10. Dollar stars round magnets



 First, I glued the blue paper to the inside face of the cookie box lid
 Then I glued the moss

 Now come the sticks

 Stable/nativity scene almost ready
 Now!
 It stands upright perfectly, the way I wanted!
I am not gonna lie to you, this is the most time consuming task...cut and glue the characters. I made 25 altogether, for the 25 days of advent. At the back, each one has a small magnet

 I cut the numbers in my Cricut and glued them to the envelops. Punched holes for the jute yarn and they were  ready to be hang on my rail

This is how the nativity looks like after all the characters in place.
Envelops  waiting for december 1st!



What we do:
Each night, after supper, starting december  1st,  we read an Advent reading from the Bible with Sofia and then she opens the envelope corresponding to that day and puts  the character in the scene. We explain each character as well. Last year she and her cousin Pedro, who was here for the holidays, had a blast!! And learned a lot about the Christmas story and its real meaning!
This year we will use the Focus on the Family Advent readings. I like it because has other activities we can incorporate. Actually, this year I am thinking of doing an activity calendar as well. Will keep you posted.
Happy Advent!!


The Girl Creative




























4 comments:

  1. I love your Advent calendar! I love how nice and simple it looks with the large numbers on the white envelopes. I also love the idea of filling an Advent calendar with parts of the nativity. I will use the nativity for part of mine this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! What a beautiful advent calendar! Such a fun way to decorate! Thank you for sharing @ Show & Share, I am happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! Pretty creative!!
    I'm featuring it tomorrow in this week's Show & Share! Hope you'll grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the idea and your creativity...thanks you share it.Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete