Monday, July 25, 2011

Painted Glass Jars


Hi!

Since I saw one of these ( YES, Pinterest rules!!), I fell in love with the many, many possibilities, with the many, many ways to do it and how simple it seemed!





Isn't that beautiful ? Take a thrifty store old glass jar ( don't get me wrong, I love them " al naturele " as well, but sometimes I need some colour around me, and I am in one of these moments now, I need colour!!) and transform it with any colour  you desire, in the comfort of your home!!
There are so many ways to do it, one can pick whatever !
 I decided to paint these old ones I had at home to how would it feel  with some more colour around here


I used: 
1. White craft acrylic paint
2. Food colouring- blue
3. A long paint brush
The most challenging part was to figure out what exact shade of blue I wanted. As I was aiming for a more milky glass look, the combination that, in the end, gave me that look, was one tablespoon of white paint and a tiny drop of food colouring. Gals, Watch out for spills, as this thing (food colouring) is nasty, almost stained my kitchen countertop!
Next, I mixed both with the brush. For my first glass I did not use a TBSP as I mentioned earlier, so the end result was a glass with a little more blue hue than I wanted,  but still beautiful. So, at this stage, add more white ( or blue) depending of what you want as a final look.

Then, I started to paint the interior with the brush. If you do this delicately and patiently,  the brush marks will me minimal. It may be tricky in the more curved vases, but the next stage will help cover the whole thing, do not worry. Next,  I added approximately 2 TBSP of water, shook the glass and then, with a circle movement , tried to cover the whole  interior of the glass with paint. 

Finally, I turned the glasses upside down on a cookie sheet protected with tin foil ( you can use anything, I just used what was handy at the moment) to drain and finalize the covering.
I left the glass like that for 20 minutes and then turned them up again and left to dry for 1 hour.
READY and GORGEOUS!




READY and GORGEOUS!










Just to show you girls how I take my pictures in my, ahem , fancy and posh outdoor photo studio :0)



I LOOOOVE this combination of light pink and milky blue

My new colourful and romantic entrance hallway. "Sad" news, because I used craft acrylic paint I can''t pour water inside and use them as a flower vase, but who cares?????




Blessings, 








Todays Creative Blog












Tip Junkie handmade projects

The Girl Creative







Running with Glitter









34 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea :) I've seen these little jars and bottles around the traps and really admire them. Thankyou so much for sharing how you achieved this look...for someone who spends their life pretty much covered in paint, I can't believe it didn't occur to me to try this!!
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea,

    Lovely project!

    If you use jars with a wide mouth, you can place a smaller vase inside and fill that with water.

    No one will be the wiser!

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh I love this! Such a different look. And so simple and cheap! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I posted my faux blue Ball jar tutorial this week. I painted the outside though so I could put water in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. delightful. Thanks for this tut. love the jars you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your fancy outdoor studio! I need one! :) The jars turned out so neat! I love the sticks in one of them...it looks so cool! I am a new follower, because I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this! They are beautiful!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so gorgeous and dreamy! I love the color you chose. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    I found you through the Glitter Party and am following you now!

    Kelly
    http://crazywego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out so well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea! Love how you did these! Just wondering if I could feature them on my blog on Thursday. They look so great! Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you all for your lovely comments!!!!
    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. Thanks for the great pics and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Thank you for inspiring me!
    Mug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mug, you are so very welcome!!! So glad I have inspired you!!
      Cheers
      Andrea

      Delete
  14. These are so gorgeous and dreamy! I love the color you chose. Thanks so much for sharing this!
    cheap nike jerseys
    cheap jerseys wholesale
    I found you through the Glitter Party and am following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Painting some glass jars has been on my list of things to do for a while now. Yours turned out great. I'd love for you to come link up to our party where we can show off all of our old projects! :)
    http://www.cutesycrafts.com/2013/03/an-oldie-but-goodie-10.html- Jessica

    ReplyDelete