Monday, March 14, 2011

Dresser transformation

I found this ugly (not for long tough....) dark blue dresser at the thrift store. It was solid wood so I knew it had loads of potential if painted the right color and given some sanding, to make it look, oh well, old and glorious (not old and ugly). I also loved the hardware and its clean but charming lines. It would be perfect for my daughter's big girl bedroom!!!yipiee!!!

There were layers and layers of dark blue paint and the hardware was white.








What I used:

*Sandpaper 80, 100 and 120 grit
*white primer - oil based -from kilz. Yes, you can use oil primer if you are painting with latex paint, no problem. I prefer oil prime because it adheres better, although it has a really strong odor.
*Latex paint from Behr - Polar Bear -Semi Gloss # 3075
* Miniwax Polyacrylic Protective finish - water based formula
* Brown spray paint ( I used Krylon)

What I did;
Remove the hardware FIRST. Primed it with spray primer (Krylon) and gave it 2 coats of brown spray paint

1. Sanded the whole dresser
2. Wiped clean with a damp clean cloth ( you can use baby wipes as well) until no sandust ANYWHERE on the surface
3. Spray painted the edges
4. One coat of primer. Waited until it was completely dry ( check the manufacturer's recommendations)
5. Two coats of my behr latex paint
6. Sanded the edges to give it a shabby chic look
7. One coat of the miniwax finish for protection

And my DD has now a new/old/BUT beautiful dresser!

Andrea



No comments:

Post a Comment